We couldn’t be more excited for this month’s custom charcuterie board…the Mexican Charcuterie Board!
Who else absolutely loves Mexican food? It’s our favorite so when we were planning out our Charcuterie Boards of the Month, I was so excited for May to come around.
You know we will use any excuse to celebrate and cinco de mayo seemed like the perfect excuse for the May custom charcuterie board. Of course, you know we paired it with some amazing themed bubbly drinks as well.
Cinco de Mayo
As a former Spanish teacher, I have a soft spot for all things in the Hispanic Culture. Choosing the month of May for this Mexican charcuterie board just seemed logical to celebrate cinco de mayo.
When I taught about this holiday, I was never surprised that most of my students didn’t really know what we were celebrating. So let’s clear up a couple misconceptions about cinco de mayo.
Probably the biggest fallacy is that cinco de mayo is the celebration of Mexico’s Independence Day, but in reality it is Mexico’s victory over France at the Battle of Puebla in 1862.
I think the second thing most people are surprised about is that it is a much bigger holiday for us in the United States than it is for the citizens in Mexico. We have major celebrations in Chicago, Houston and Los Angeles to name a few. And in Mexico, it’s not considered a national holiday even though they do celebrate with fireworks, a parade and and re-enactment in the city of Puebla.
So, why don’t we celebrate cinco de mayo by diving into a custom Mexican charcuterie board?!
Mexican Charcuterie Board
So, what is your favorite Mexican food? I mean how do you even pick a favorite?
When we were creating this Mexican food board, we decided to make it super simple and more like a charcuterie board, we had to make sure it was full of easy, finger foods that everyone loves.
Our custom Mexican charcuterie board has the following items, but truly the possibilities are endless.
- Cheese Quesadillas
- Chicken Taquitos
- Chicken Taco cups (TIP: Street taco shells are ideal for these. If you use small shells, cut them in half.)
- Cheater Taco Dip in a Cup (see recipe below)
- Chips, (salsa, not pictured) and guacamole, of course
- Churros with chocolate and caramel dipping sauces for the perfect dessert (We considered baking these from scratch, but instead ordered them from a local Mexican restaurant.)
Cheater Taco Dip in a Cup
- 8 oz Sour cream
- 4 oz Whipped cream cheese
- 1T Taco seasoning
- Shredded lettuce
- Shredded cheese
- Sliced black olives (optional)
- In a small bowl, mix together sour cream, cream cheese and taco seasoning. TIP: If you can’t get whipped cream cheese, use regular cream cheese, but use a hand mixer to blend it together with the sour cream and seasoning.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour or as long as overnight.
- Put 3 T of mixture into the bottom of a cup.
- Top with shredded cheese, tomatoes and lettuce and optional olives.
- Serve with chips.
Mexican Charcuterie Board Pairs Well With
Now everything on this board pairs so well with cava, of course, but we have to share our favorite recipe for a Bubbly Paloma too!
And we need to take a moment and chat about pairing Sparkling Almond with these churros! Oh my goodness….this could be my new favorite dessert pairing. Simply rim the glass with caramel syrup and then dip that into a mixture of cinnamon and sugar. Fill it with sparkling almond wine and you have the most perfect dessert combination!
New & Improved Bubbly Paloma
- 1-1.5 oz 21 Seeds Grapefruit Hibiscus Tequila
- 2 oz Fever Tree Sparkling Grapefruit or Grapefruit Juice
- 1/2 oz Lime juice
- Squeeze the lime into your favorite champagne glass.
- Add grapefruit juice and tequila.
- Stir well.
- Top with bubbly.
Ruby Red Mocktail
- 1 1/2 oz Grapefruit juice
- 1 oz Lime Juice
- 1 oz Simple Syrup
- 3-4 oz Sparkling Grapefruit or Grapefruit soda
- Rub a lime around the rim of the glass and dip it into some sugar.
- Fill the glass with ice then combine all ingredients and stir well.
- Garnish with a grapefruit slice.
TIP: To make the Ruby Red a bubbly cocktail, add 1 oz of grapefruit vodka and top with bubbly.
We have been creating custom charcuterie boards each month and been absolutely loving it. Check out the previous months:
- January-Breakfast Board
- February-Valentine’s Day Board and a Football Snack Board
- March–St. Patrick’s Day Board
- April–Birthday Dessert Board
If you missed last year’s cinco de mayo happy hour, we created quite the spread and paired it with bubbly margaritas, our famous sangria!
We also have our favorite cinco de mayo party essentials in the Bubbly Side of Life Amazon Shop. One stop shopping with one click.
This post contains references to products we know, use and love. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products.