New Year’s Eve 2020, I think it’s safe to say we’re all super happy to bid this year farewell and very ready to welcome in 2021. And while we’re celebrating very differently this year, that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t celebrate.
There’s Always A Reason
We truly believe that there’s always a reason to celebrate. Especially at the end of the year, it’s time to look back on the year and realize there really were a lot of moments worthy of celebrating.
You never have to wait for a big occasion, a near-catastrophe to be averted, or good news to land in your lap to pop a bottle of bubbly and celebrate. Heck, even if we’re CHEERS-ing to New Year’s Eve 2020 and the fact that we’re closing out the year, that’s our reason to celebrate!
Ways to Celebrate New Year’s Eve 2020
You want to celebrate the end of 2020 and options are limited. So, how can you celebrate New Year’s Eve at home?
Here are a few of our favorite ideas:
We love doing pairing parties all year long because they are something different, something fun and something where you can involve the kids (of course, by getting them sparkling juices).
We’ve done the following pairings and you can make them as simple or as fancy a you want. And the possibilities are endless with pairing parties.
- How To Do An Awesome Potato Chip Champagne Pairing
- Perfect Pairings For National Pretzel Day
- The Best Mac And Cheese Recipe Paired With Sparkling Wine
- The Best Popcorn Party Ever-Popcorn Salts Paired With Bubbly
Bubbly tasting parties are so much fun and a great way to try some new bubbly. There are so many versions of bubbly tastings you can do:
Choose one type (Brut, Extra Brut, Dry, etc.)
- Rosé sparkling
- Store bought
Local winery sparkling Vintage vs Non-Vintage
- Different wine regions: Willamette Valley, Temecula Valley, Napa Valley, Sonoma, Walla Walla, the Okanagan Valley, etc.
Price point-choose a bottle less than $20, $25-40 and $50+
Choose a variety of Cava, Champagne, or Sparkling Wine from Dry to Sweet
One of each (keep the type the same: brut, dry, etc.) Cava, Prosecco, Champagne, Sparkling Wine
Now all you need is a tasting mat. You can download our free tasting mat that is easy to use and just makes it a little more fun.
FaceTime CHEERS With Your Bubbly Drinking Besties
I know many of us our ready to be done with Zoom and FaceTime Happy Hours, but let’s celebrate New Year’s Eve 2020 with the one thing we have all mastered…virtual happy hours.
Wondering what bottle you should pop for your virtual toast to welcome in 2021? There are so many options…many of which can show up right on your doorstep.
On the blog are reviews of my favorite wineries with my favorite bottles of bubbly from each.
And since people often associate special occasions with champagne, we have two resources for you.
The Best Champagne You Want to Pop to Celebrate blog post with contributions from two of my favorite champagne lovers, Gina Lyons from @champagnesquadofficial and Carolyn Holt from @popculturechampagne.
And Laura Villanueva from @travelandchampagne gave us her top 5 picks to celebrate New Year’s Eve 2020:
- Laurent Perrier – This rosé is one of my favorite rosés and for good reason! There is structure, finesse and balance in this champagne. This one is easy to find and is one I always like to have on hand. If you have not had it – it is worth the splurge!
- Taittinger NV Brut – This is also a staple that I always have on hand as it is a definite crowd pleaser! Taittinger is a Chardonnay focused house so there is more acidity to this one, which I love! A lot of citrus shines through with the lemon flavors, as well as some floral and green fruit with a hint of honey. This is a light easy drinking champagne.
- Charles Heidsieck NV Brut – This a Reservé Brut as there is a high proportion of reserve wines used in the NV. The reservé wines add complexity to the bottle and this champagne is a great value for what you are paying for.
- Billecart-Salmon Blanc de Blancs – Most people know the Billecart-Salmon rosé but their Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs is not to be missed! This a 100% Chardonnay champagne. It is bright and zippy! This champagne has racy acidity and the minerality shines through. Green apple, chalk and dried lemon peel all shine through. This champagne is full of finesse! The perfect bubbles and sparkle.
- Louis Roederer Vintage Blanc de Blancs – 100% Chardonnay. This is a bright wine where the acidity shines through. Mineral driven – you can taste the chalk when drinking this one. There is white blossom, almonds and citrus on the nose and palate. Elegance in a glass.
New Year’s Eve 2020 Supplies
Even though our celebrations will be much smaller this year, I still love the idea of very little clean up. So we gathered up our favorite bubbly supplies for all sorts of celebrations at the Bubbly Side of Life shop on Amazon.
You will find the supplies we use for our pairing parties, tasting parties, and so much more.
What Are You Celebrating?
Since there is always something to celebrate, we want to know just what you’re celebrating. Drop a comment on any Instagram post with the #NYEBlog so we can celebrate with you!
This post contains references to products we know, use and love. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products.