Hot chocolate is a winter favorite for sure. And now, we’ve kicked it up a notch and created the most perfect sparkling red wine hot chocolate because it really is true that,
“Everything is better with bubbly!”
Fun Hot Chocolate Facts
- Hot chocolate has been around for thousands of years originating as a part of the Mayan culture.
- Hot cocoa and hot chocolate are technically two different beverages. Hot cocoa is made from a powder and hot chocolate is made from chunks of chocolate.
- Hot chocolate is “healthy” containing many antioxidants, so drink up! 😉
- January 31 is National Hot Chocolate Day (but you know here at Bubbly Side of Life, it’s be National Sparkling Red Wine Hot Chocolate Day!)
Sparkling Red Wine Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/2 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup Sparkling Red Wine (My recommendations: Bel Vino Sparkling Red, Rep Top Rock N Roll, Varnum Vintners Porch Party)
- In a saucepan, combine milk and heavy whipping cream, heat until simmering.
- Add chocolate chips using a whisk or a spatula continue to stir until melted.
- Continue to heat 1-2 minutes more.
- Remove from heat, pour into your favorite mug.
- Add sparkling red wine. Let the bubbles settle, then stir.
- Add your favorite toppings.
Bubbly Whipped Cream
If you have been around here for a while, you know owe love bubbly whipped cream. We put it on top of our favorite breakfast items and desserts. And it’s oh so easy to make and of course, the perfect topping for this hot chocolate with wine.
Bubbly Whipped Cream Recipe
- 1/2 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 TBSP Powdered Sugar
- 1t Sparkling Red Wine
You can either use a personal blender or a hand blender to make this. Combine all ingredients and blend until it thickens to whipped cream consistency.
Hot Chocolate Bar
Of course, sparkling red wine hot chocolate topped with bubbly whipped cream is delicious as it is, but why not create an entire hot chocolate bar full of yummy toppings.
And the best thing about this sparkling red wine hot chocolate is the base of the hot chocolate is alcohol free since you add the sparkling red wine after you pour the hot chocolate into the mug. So, you can actually make this hot chocolate bar for both kids and adults.
- Marshmallows are a hot chocolate staple, right? And we even made homemade bubbly marshmallows and you can find the recipe here. These absolutely taste better than store bought, but also take a bit of pre-planning. So if you’re like us, we always have some store bought ones ready to go for our impromptu hot chocolate with wine (and without) nights.
- Candy canes are such a fun garnish for cocktails and mocktails and I personally love the taste of chocolate and peppermint. You can use a candy cane to stir your sparkling red wine hot chocolate or just place it in as a festive touch.
- Sprinkles make everything festive and happy, right? We grabbed our favorite Wilton sprinkles in fun holiday colors perfect for sprinkling on top of whipped cream.
- Fun stirrers allow everyone to customize their hot chocolate in their favorite way. We did a Target run and found peppermint cocoa and marshmallow cocoa stirrers which will add a bit more (not too much) chocolate richness to your sparkling red wine hot chocolate.
- Fun flavored spoons are another fun way, but let me tell you the pros and cons. First of all, we found these on Amazon, at Trader Joe’s and at Target and since we weren’t really looking for them, I’m sure they’re at many other places as well. I actually bought it for my nephew just for fun before trying out this sparkling red wine hot chocolate recipe and he said he had to add a bunch more chocolate to make it good. Knowing that, we bought some for our hot chocolate bar since our hot chocolate is amazing on its own and this would just add a bit more flavor since we grabbed the peppermint and the salted caramel spoons.
Hot Chocolate Supplies
A quick Target run was pretty much all we did to gather supplies for our fun night of hot chocolate goodness. But we also did some Amazon shopping, of course, and gathered up all of those items for you in the Bubbly Side of Life Amazon shop.
Fun Popcorn Pairing Party both adults and kids will enjoy.
Check out our other fun bubbly themed desserts that will satisfy your sweet tooth.
This post may contain affiliate links to products we know, use and love. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products.