Edit: This post was originally written for Super Bowl 54 – The 49s vs the Cheifs (20-31 final in case it matters to you). However, these loaded tater tots and bubbly cocktails are perfect for any party your hosting not just Super Bowl Sunday.
Super Bowl Sunday or National Tater Tot Day – Which will you celebrate?
If you’re like me you watch the Super Bowl for three reasons:
- Good Food
- Good Bubbly
- and Good Commercials
I am not really a cold beer kinda gal, I would much rather enjoy socializing during sports game with a bubbly cocktail instead.
So if you’re like me, we have you covered for at least 2 of the three requirements for a great Super Bowl party: loaded tater tots and a champagne cocktail that pairs perfectly.
Loaded Tater Tots You’ll Die For
Super Bowl Sunday is also National Tater Tot day! So we thought why not combine these two things for a perfect game day appetizer.
And no good sports food is complete without a good dipping sauce so we have a tangy and salty dip perfect for dunking your loaded tater tots in.
Loaded Tater Tot Kebob Ingredients
This recipe was inspired by Debbie from One Little Project at a Time you can head over to her post to see her version and get more precise measurements of the ingredients for the tater tots.
- Tater Tots
- Sour Cream
- Green Onion/Scallions
Loaded Tater Tot Instructions
- Bake tater tots according to the directions on the bag.
- Allow them some time to cool and then place 4-5 on each skewer.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Top with bacon (be sure to cook your bacon or use real bacon bits).
- Add the chopped green onion.
- Put back into the oven until the cheese is melted (about 3 minutes).
- Remove and serve with a side of dipping sauce.
TIP: place the skewers on parchment paper for easy clean up.
Loaded Dipping Sauce
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons cooked, finely chopped cooked bacon + more to sprinkle on top
- 1 tablespoon of green onions or chives (optional)
- Bake tater tots according to directions on the bag.
- While baking, mix together ingredients for dip and let it sit in the fridge. Before serving, top with more bacon.
- Once tater tots are done, allow some time to cool then place 4 tater tots on each skewer.
- Serve with dip.
2 Red Champagne Cocktails
Now to pair these with some Bubbly Cocktails. We had big plans of making some fabulous color themed cocktails to represent both teams and then both teams turned out to be red. Even more frustrating was that their secondary colors are essentially the same too (at least when it comes to trying to mix drinks)…so much for that idea.
You can always make a few of these super cute football champagne glass tags too. Add some the team names and you’re all set.
However you choose to show your spirit, here are some great bubbly cocktails for whichever red team you’re rooting for.
For your first red bubbly cocktail, we’ll call this the –
“All Gas, No Breaks Bubbly”
- 1 oz chambord
- 1 oz vodka
- Top with Bubbly
- Frozen Cranberries (or other frozen fruit)
- Sugar (optional)
- Gold Sprinkles or Edible Gold (optional)
At Bubbly Side of Life, we always add frozen fruit to our bubbly cocktails to keep them chilled. For this one we added frozen cranberries dipped in sugar. If you want you can dip the cranberries in gold sprinkles instead. Just a little something extra to celebrate the day and show a little team support. Raspberries are another good frozen fruit for this one.
For those who don’t love vodka, this tastes just as good without it, just add a bit more chambord.
For your second bubbly cocktail:
- 1 oz vodka or flavored vodka (Bubbly Side of Life likes cranberry or raspberry)
- Top with Bubbly
- Splash of cranberry or pomegranate juice
- Cranberries or Raspberries
- Sugar (optional)
- Yellow food coloring (optional)
Again, we like to add frozen fruit to keep it cold. Depending on the type of juice or vodka is usually the type of fruit we choose, this case we suggest cranberry or raspberry just to keep things simple. Don’t forget you can dip you fruit in sugar for a little extra sweet. Add a few drops of the food coloring to a small bowl of sugar to show a little extra team spirit.
Bubbly Suggestions for your Bubbly Cocktails
And of course, you can never go wrong with straight up bubbly, and here are a few of my favorites that go well on their own or in the champagne cocktails above. And if you want to do a true tater tot and bubbly pairing, use this and save the cocktails for the after appetizers drinks.
- Evolution Sparkling Wine
- Unfortunately it’s a bit harder to get if you’re not located in the northwest. But if you are go grab it because…it’s a relatively inexpensive bottle of bubbly that is great straight up AND there is a spot on the front of the bottle where you can write which team you’re celebrating. (And the Bubbly Side of Life was named by these guys but that’s a story for another time.)
- Poema Cava
- I love a good cava is consistently delicious and usually easy to find in the states.
- Chandon Brut Classic
- Definitely easy to find, very affordable if you need multiple bottles and is consistent fresh and crisp.
All three of these are bubblies that I buy when I am not adding a juice or whipping up bubbly cocktails because they are great on their own and will pair perfectly with tater tots. You can of course add them to the cocktails for great flavor.
Why Loaded Tater Tots and Bubbly Cocktails are the Perfect Combination
Some of you may not have heard but champagne and french fries are one of the best bubbly pairings ever! Why? The saltiness and crunchiness of french fries complement the fine bubbles and zesty acidity. Basically, salt and fat plus high acid and bubbles equals a great combo.
If you’re curious you can give the straight tater tots a try with some plain bubbly to see how the two flavors work together. Once you understand how the base flavors play together you can create your own unique combinations.
The After Taste
Whether you go to watch the game or just to socialize with friends these snacks and drinks will keep you happy all game long. Don’t forget to grab our Celebration Calendar as well so you have something to celebrate all month long.
So enjoy National Tater Tot Day and Let’s Root Root Root for the …. well you go root for a team while I enjoy my bubbly and loaded tater tots.