I am a firm believe that bubbly makes everything better. And when you taste these bubbly homemade rice crispy treats, I think you will agree!
Rice Krispie Treats Day
With Friday, September 18 being Rice Krispie Treats Day, we figured we better create the best rice crispy treat recipe to celebrate with, so, of course, that meant, we had to figure out how to add bubbly.
Obviously this is an unofficial holiday, but one that we feel at Bubbly Side of Life is most deserving of celebrating, especially since we just created the best rice crispy treats that you will want to make and celebrate with as well.
If you have ever made Rice Krispie Treats before, you know that the recipe doesn’t call for any liquid, so we couldn’t just substitute bubbly or haphazardly add it, so we got creative!
Since we couldn’t just add bubbly to the rice crispy treats, we decided to truly make a homemade version and go back all the way to create the marshmallows from scratch.
This was actually pretty easy, but very messy and, of course, pretty sticky. The end result though was a marshmallow that was not so sweet and quite tasty.
This was the perfect way to create the best rice crispy treats and honestly, it’s not even all that hard.
Bubbly Marshmallow Recipe
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup agave
- 1 cup bubbly (divided)
- 3 packs gelatin
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- Coating Powder
- Shortening or oil
- Prep mini-muffin pan by coaching it in shortening or oil and dusting with powdered sugar corn start mixture
- Add 1/2 c of bubbly to a standing mixer bowl. Pour Gelatin on top of the bubbly. Mix with a whisk to combine and let it sit.
- Pour 1/2 c bubbly, agave, and sugar into a heavy bottom saucepan. Mix until combined.
- Using a pastry brush dipped in bubbly, wipe down the sides of the pan to remove any lingering sugar crystals.
- Heat sugar syrup mixture over medium heat for about 10 minutes until the mixture reaches 245-250 degrees. Do not mix the syrup while it heats up to avoid crystallization.
- Once it hits the proper temperature, remove from heat.
- Turn the mixer on low and start mixing the gelatin. While it’s mixing, slowly pour the sugar syrup down the sides of the blow. The mix can splatter so be very careful.
- Once combined, slowly increase the speed to medium high and add the vanilla. Beat for 5-10 minutes until thick and glossy.
- Pour the marshmallow mixture into the mini muffin pan.
- Loosely cover with plastic wrap making sure it doesn’t touch the marshmallow mixture. Let it sit at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Remove from pan and store in an airtight container for up to 10 days.
- Use food coloring to make fun colors. Add it in step 8.
- Use Pixie Dust Glitter or Brew Glitter and add it step 9.
- To remove marshmallows, spray a knife with cookie spray or the coating powder mixture.
We molded a few to be used in a cocktail (yes, I will give you the recipe below) and then used the rest in our homemade rice crispy treats.
Homemade Rice Crispy Treats
Seriously this recipe created the absolute best rice crispy treats I have ever had. They were chewier and gooier and absolutely delicious. And they were a lot less sweet.
And it was quite simple, since we had just made the marshmallow and it was still completely melted.
- 3 T of Butter
- 6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- Bubbly Marshmallows
The best rice crispy treats (by the way, it’s just as easy as the regular recipe):
- In a large pot, melt one stick of butter
- Add melted bubbly marshmallows
- Add 6 cups of Rice Krispies cereal to the melted bubbly marshmallows
- Mix it together
- Pour it into a 9×9 pan
- Gently press it down with your hands or a spatula
- Let it set for 1 hour
- Cut and Enjoy!
And yes, these bubbly-ized homemade rice crispy treats do pair well with an almond bubbly.
Whip up a batch of these homemade rice crispy treats, share with your friends, family, neighbors and celebrate this unofficial holiday.
I mentioned that we made a few marshmallows so that I could make some bubbly cocktails and I did just that. And I think it’s only fitting that the Bubbly S’mores cocktail was the first with the homemade marshmallow.
This cocktail made its debut on my on the Bubbly Side of Life IG TV and you can always find it hanging out there. Follow us over there and we release a new beverage every Thursday just for fun.